David M. Ward, Sheriff
485 N Court Avenue #6
Burns, Oregon 97720-1524
Brian Needham, Lieutenant, Undersheriff
Drug Enforcement Supervisor
About Sheriff Ward
David Ward was appointed the new Harney County Sheriff and took his oath of office on January 2, 2015. He will serve out the remainder of Sheriff Dave Glerup’s term until the next general election in November 2016.
Sheriff Ward grew up in Drain, Oregon, a small rural community of about 1000 people in Douglas County, Oregon. After graduation, David enlisted in the United States Army where he served 21 years of combined service between active duty, the Oregon Army National Guard and the Army Reserves. During his military career he served as a Combat Medic, a PATRIOT Missile Systems Operator/Maintainer, and a Drill Sergeant, along with serving combat tours in Somalia and Afghanistan. Sheriff Ward started his law enforcement career as a Corrections Deputy with Lake County Sheriff ’s office in 2002 and also gained experience with the Oregon Department of Corrections in the Warner Creek Correctional Facility in Lake County, Oregon. In 2005, David and his family moved to Burns while he continued working for the Lake County Sheriff ’s Office until 2007, when he was hired on with the Harney County Sheriff ’s Office. During Sheriff Ward’s law enforcement career, he has been certified as a Corrections Deputy, Parole and Probation Officer, and a Patrol Deputy. During his training at DPSST, David received the George L. Tooley Top Shooter Award, Victor G. Atiyeh Outstanding Student Award, and Defensive Tactics Award.
The Mission of the Harney County Sheriff’s Office is, “To serve our community by providing superior public safety and exceptional professional service in an ethical and fiscally responsible manner, while preserving the right of all individuals.”
Core Values and Standards
Our values are honor, integrity, ethics and professionalism.
To protect and serve for a safer community
The Harney County Sheriff's Office works to protect the citizens of Harney County. The services that are offered further public safety in this area and throughout this region.
- 911 Dispatch - Enhanced 911 dispatch technology and computer aided dispatch capabilities.
- Civil Process - The Sheriff's Office can provide delivery of legal documents or processes for a fee.
- Concealed Handgun License - The ability to carry firearms is available with proper license and training.
- Community Corrections - The County Jail provides immediate incarceration of persons brought in by local law enforcement agencies.
- Drug Enforcement Task Force - Illegal drug use is everyone's problem.
- Homeland Security - Know all about the National Homeland Security System.
- Search and Rescue- Harney County is one of the largest Counties in Oregon and so hunting, fishing and general outdoor activities may lead to persons being lost or in need of help where finding them may prove to be a challenge
- Sex Offender Registration - View registration requirements.
- Upcoming Property Sale List and Dates